Community Climate Champions
Would you like to help increase local people’s awareness of climate issues and support them to work together to take climate action in North Lanarkshire?
If the answer is yes and you live or work in North Lanarkshire, Voluntary Action North Lanarkshire invites you to register to become a volunteer Community Climate Champion!
As a Community Climate Champion, you will receive free, accredited training and other support to enable you to facilitate “climate conversations” in your local area; for specific interest groups; and/or for your organisation.
The Community Climate Champion initiative is supported by Voluntary Action North Lanarkshire (VANL) as part of our commitment to North Lanarkshire’s Action on Climate Together initiative – ACT Now NL.
Our offer to you: If you volunteer for this scheme, you will:
Receive free, online climate emergency training from Keep Scotland Beautiful.
This introductory training will raise understanding of climate change science and how you can use your actions and influence to respond to the climate emergency and contribute to Scotland’s journey to net-zero. The training will include an introduction to climate change and cover topics like climate impacts and adaptation, reducing emissions, climate action and communication.
The course will be accredited by The Carbon Literacy Project, and participants who successfully complete the two 2.5-hour sessions, guided self-study and final assessment can receive Carbon Literate certification.
We have received funding from the Scottish Government to offer 30-40 free spaces for this training during April and May 2022 in three small groups.
We will be publishing the course dates shortly, so if you are interested, please fill in the registration form below and we will contact you in early April with the course date options.
- You will also be invited to participate in one or more of our free, community climate awareness and action workshops during 2022-23, which will provide you with more in-depth understanding of key issues such as:
- active travel and community transport
- community greening – including conservation, community woodlands
- renewable, affordable energy, including support for households and community energy schemes
- community food growing and larders
- community lending and upcycling schemes.
More information on these workshops will be available soon.
- You will have access to a wide range of information through the ACT Now NL website
- VANL staff will provide further guidance and support as needed
- You will also become part of a North Lanarkshire Community Climate Champions network where volunteers can connect and support each other.
Your role: As a volunteer Community Climate Champion in North Lanarkshire, you will be supported through above to facilitate “Climate Conversations“and action with one or more of the following groups of people:
- residents in your local area
- people with specific interests such as carers; disabled people and faith groups
- people in your organisation and/or work-related networks
If you would like to register to become a volunteer Community Climate Champion in North Lanarkshire you can do so using the form below
Everyone who registers will receive further information, including information about training and workshops.
If you have any queries or questions, please contact email@example.com.